Awards and Recognitions
Cal Poly’s Greek Councils won multiple nationally recognized awards at the 2017 Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values Conference. The Interfraternity Council earned the “Best in the West” Jellison Award for outstanding performance in council management, philanthropy and community service, public relations, risk reduction and management, self governance and judicial affairs in its division. In addition, the Panhellenic Council (PHA) received the Sutherland Award for academic achievement, council management, leadership and educational development, membership recruitment, public relations, risk reduction management, self governance and judicial affairs in its division. The United Sorority and Fraternity Council (USFC) also brought home its first award at the conference in council management.
Student Affairs named one of the Most Promising Places to Work for 2017 by Diverse: Issues in Higher Education. Cal Poly was one of just 18 higher-education institutions honored for taking intentional steps to create a more diverse and welcoming workplace environment. The university was selected from a pool of several hundred applicants across the nation, following an extensive review of categories such as diversity, staffing practices, family friendliness and professional development opportunities, among others. It was Cal Poly’s first submission for the award.
Anthonia Edgren, lead specialist for Parent and Family Programs and Commencement, received a top award in early November at the national AHEPPP conference (Association of Higher Education Parent and Family Programs Professionals) in Boulder, Colorado. She was the recipient of the 2016 AHEPPP Outstanding New Professional Award for her exceptional leadership, innovation, outstanding contributions to our university and Student Affairs. This prestigious award recognized Anthonia for her dedicated service to parent and supporter engagement, significant promise in achieving greater leadership roles, and overall standard of excellence. A proud two-time Cal Poly alumna, Anthonia continues to expand parent and supporter programming and resources at Cal Poly and upholds our honored commencement traditions while integrating innovative cost-saving solutions.
2016 Fraternity and Sorority Life Awardees at the Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values Conference, Student Affairs’ Fraternity and Sorority Life student and staff leaders received multiple honors at the Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values (AFLV) Conference, an annual conference with more than 300 participating schools and universities. These were the awardees:
- Kathryn O’Hagan, Lead Coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life, was honored with the Outstanding Fraternity/Sorority Advisor Award. Kathryn was nominated by representatives from all three Greek Councils – Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council, and United Sorority and Fraternity Council – for her continued support and service to students.
- Kristen Henry, business major, Panhellenic President and member of Alpha Chi Omega, was honored with the Marilyn Fordham Fraternal Values Award. This award is given to one undergraduate student in the AFLV West region who exemplifies the values of the association.
- The Interfraternity Council, the governing council representing 16 fraternity chapters, received an award for Overall Excellence. In addition, they were recognized in three of eight areas of work, including council management, public relations, and self-governance and judicial affairs.
- The Panhellenic Council, the governing council representing 10 sorority chapters, also received an award for Overall Excellence. In addition, they were recognized in six of eight areas of work, including: council management, membership recruitment, philanthropy and community service, public relations, risk reduction and management, and self-governance & judicial affairs.
Andrene Kaiwi-Lenting, Director of New Student and Transition Programs, awarded the 2015 Outstanding Orientation Professional Award from the National Orientation Director’s Association (NODA) for orientation, transition and retention in higher education.
2015 Lathrop K. Leishman Trophy for the most beautiful non-commercial float, awarded to Cal Poly Universities for “Soaring Stories.”
Tournament of Roses Parade
2014 Crown City Innovation Award for Best Use of Imagination and Innovation to Advance the Art of Float Design, awarded to Cal Poly Universities for "Bedtime Buccaneers."
Tournament of Roses Parade
2013 Outstanding Presentation Award for Raising Awareness for Sexual Assault Education within Orientation Programs awarded to New Student and Transition Programs.
Association for Orientation, Transition and Retention in Higher Education (NODA)
Ranked Third Best College Website for Blind Students
Chronicle of Higher Education
The Laboratory Excellence Award for "Outstanding performance in quality patient testing and overall exemplary application of the principles of laboratory practices", awarded to Health and Counseling Services
Commission of Laboratory Acceleration (COLA)
Outstanding Staff Awards given to:
Dr. David L. Harris, Executive Director of Health and Counseling Services, 2013
Dr. Jean DeCosta, Dean of Students, 2014
Superior Peer Health Education Program Award, awarded to PULSE, Health and Counseling Services
President's Diversity Award, awarded to Counseling Services
Named in honor of Dr. Everett and Mrs. Arlene Chandler, the Chandler Awards honors Student Affairs employees who are enthusiastically committed to maintaining positive relationships with co-workers, Cal Poly employees and students.
Three Student Affairs employees are recognized annually at the division’s Fall Recharge as recipients of the Chandler Award. The recipients will receive a recognition gift, a $300 cash award, and their names will be placed on a perpetual plaque housed in the vice president’s office.
2017 Award Winners:
- Amie Hammond, Career Services
- June Stanley, Campus Health & Wellbeing
- Janet Tarlton, Associated Students, Inc.
2016 Award Winners:
- Kristal Slover, Athletics
- Laurie Kobliska, Dean of Students
- Charlotte Rinaldi, Career Services
2015 Award Winners:
- Missi Allison-Bullock, Associated Students, Inc.
- Judy Correia, Campus Health and Wellbeing
- Rick Salomon, Career Services
2014 Award Winners:
- Michelle Crawford, Associated Students, Inc.
- Jason Mockford, Dean of Students
- Laurie Walcott, Disability Resource Center
2013 Award Winners:
- Greg Avakian, Associated Students, Inc.
- Christina Kaviani, Safer/Dean of Students
- Lauren Platte, Career Services
2012 Award Winners:
- Sarah Levanway, Disability Resource Center
- Erin Echols, Cross Cultural Centers
- Carole Moore, Career Services
To view all Chandler Award winners, click here.